Loading Purplepass...
Staple This
Presented By Bob Da' Builder
Saturday, October 30th at 8:00pm PST
Online sale ends: 10/30/10 at 7:00pm PST
Riverside, CA 92604
-= series =-
Buy Tickets
Buy Tickets

The last of the miners was hauled to the surface at about 10 p.m. local time, capping the longest such confinement to have ended with the miners alive.

Families here slept little in recent days as they awaited the impending rescue of their loved ones. That lack of sleep, piled atop months of frustration, joy, and often unspoken fears have left many people with just one thing they want to do: sleep.

"I am totally tired out," said Priscila Avalos, holding her daughter on her lap under a nylon awning at the collection of tents known as Camp Hope, where she had rushed after two of her brothers were trapped in the mine accident on Aug. 5. Her two kids looked equally exhausted.

RELATED: 5 reasons the Chile mine rescue was so successful

Over the course of the day, the excitement of the rescue gradually waned. While the first rescue, of Ms. Avalos's brother Florencio, provoked chants and cheers at every step, by afternoon, the process had become routine.

Each new rescue brought a few cheers and party horns, which quickly faded as people returned to their chatting, interviewing, and joking around. Then, when a webcam from underground showed Luis Urzua, the final miner, getting into the capsule and starting his ascent, excitement grew again. Families sang the Chilean national anthem, chanted, and released mylar balloons festooned with the Chilean flag that had been handed out by Rolly the clown, who has entertained family members at the site for more than a month.

A protective cordon of smooth-faced national police kept close watch, with one young officer swallowing again and again, fighting back tears. But the families had no such inhibitions. Many were misty-eyed before the capsule emerged. And the instant that Mr. Urzua got out of his cage, the families celebrated. Minutes later, many family members were back to their campfires, packing for home.

"The nightmare's over," said Rosana Cortez, whose brother Pedro was the 31st to be brought to freedom. "We can get back to life."

Items Not Allowed
Nothing is allowed in! haha
Additional Information
Nothing additional

Presented By

8:00pm to 2:00am
Doors open at 8:00pm

General Admission: $50.00


TBD<br> Riverside, 92604